Disability Services

Supporting Students

Hinds CC supports students with disabilities in their educational pursuits by providing accessibility to programs and course offerings. Disability Support Services staff are committed to promoting a positive campus environment in which students with disabilities are encouraged to actively participate in fields of study related to their personal interests and abilities.

Why Register with Disability Services

A college student with a disability, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), has the right to notify the Disability Support Services Office should they need academic adjustments. A student is not required to inform the college that he or she has a disability; however, if the student wants an institution to provide an academic adjustment, accessible housing or other facilities, or other disability-related services, the student must identify himself or herself as having a disability. The disclosure of a disability is always voluntary. All students must comply with the policies, codes, and regulations of Hinds Community College (see Student Handbook). Learn more about your rights and responsibilities here.

Disability Accommodations

Once a student has submitted the application to request student disability services and has provided appropriate documentation, the institution staff should discuss with the student what academic adjustments are appropriate in light of the student’s individual needs and the nature of the institution’s program. Students with disabilities possess unique knowledge of their individual disabilities and should be prepared to discuss the functional challenges they face and, if applicable, what has or has not worked for them in the past. Institution staff should be prepared to describe the barriers students may face in individual classes that may affect their full participation, as well as to discuss academic adjustments that might enable students to overcome those barriers.

Some academic adjustments could include extended time on tests and the provision of auxiliary aids and services. Auxiliary aids and services include note-takers, readers, recording devices, sign language interpreters, screen-readers, voice recognition and other adaptive software or hardware for computers, and other devices designed to ensure the participation of students with impaired sensory, manual or speaking skills in an institution’s programs and activities. Institutions are not required to provide personal devices and services such as attendants, individually prescribed devices, such as eyeglasses, readers for personal use or study, or other services of a personal nature, such as tutoring. If institutions offer tutoring to the general student population, however, they must ensure that tutoring services also are available to students with disabilities. In some instances, a state VR agency may provide auxiliary aids and services to support an individual’s postsecondary education and training once that individual has been determined eligible to receive services under the VR program.

Steps to Obtain Accommodations

If at any time during the process you have questions, please contact a disability counselor. Students should begin this process prior to classes beginning in order to be approved for accommodations early.

  1. Complete the student disability services application.
  2. Obtain and submit the appropriate documentation from a medical professional. Documentation should be no older than three years.
  3. Meet and discuss with the disability counselor your request for academic adjustments, auxiliary aids and/or services.
  4. Continue communication with your disability counselor in order to assess and maintain accommodations.


Bivins Hall 100
Nursing Allied Health Center
Anderson Hall 2
Academic Classroom Building Suite 105
Moss Hall 211
WWAU Suite 120 C & 
WWAU Suite 120 D
601-885-7022 (Academic)
601-885-7128 (Career & Technical)
Banks Building


Loretta Sutton
District Director of Disability & Interpreting Services